Lover Arisen by J.R. Ward

Releases April, 5th
Get it on Amazon - https://amzn.to/3Nm2rKg

Alrighty folks, this review is going to be all over the place so bear with me. Here are my initial thoughts from the first 30% of Lover Arisen.

Incredible. I mean, really freaking great! It feels like Ward’s original storytelling from the first three books in the series. It’s back to being meater, grittier, and comes with a new sense of mystery and engagement.  I’m inspired to reread Dark Lover again from this experience. She's got me googling Birkin bags!

It's a punch you in the face, action-filled plot with a story-driven rhythm that makes me crave more. I mean really guys, I can’t get over how good this is.

Here are my immediate thoughts once I finished...

I was standing in my shower not even 30 minutes after finishing Lover Arisen trying to get my thoughts together.  To figure out exactly what I wanted to say and then like a burst of sublime sunshine I figured... why don’t I just say that? Lover Arisen has left me standing in the shower trying to make sense of all the interconnecting relationships Lover Arisen has. I am trying to wash away this feeling of sadness I have for a beloved character. I feel heartbroken and a little confused and concerned about what’s to come where they are concerned. But I know this is just a setup for an epic love story later on. I just hope it’s sooner rather than later. Having said that, the main coupling and storyline of Lover Arisen is straight up my alley. It’s the mystery, the cat and mouse, the sleuthing, and the gritty street-pounding sidewalks of Caldwell that I have truly missed from the very first book in the series.  It was like breathing that mystery and mayhem all over again. But yet having that familiarity of being a series-long lover of all things Black Dagger Brotherhood. I don’t know, I feel like I’m rambling, but that’s what a good book does. It mixed up my emotions and has thrown me back into a different space and time.  I have these heartfelt emotional responses to things in the past books yet it's all right here in front of me on the page. Just an all-new form. 

I simply love the direction the series is going into. I feel like it wandered a bit in the past but now we are packed in a mack truck and we’re hurtling down this highway. I feel the need to grab onto something because I just know it’s going to rip out my heart in the best possible way.  I didn’t laugh as much as I normally do with Wards books. I kept getting this nervous gut-wrenching feeling, my breath would falter, and my eyes would tear up. I kept getting heart palpitations and all I could think was... fuck... this is good.


5 Stars! Let the count down for the next book begin.
~Tanja

*Thank you to Gallery Books for sharing this title with me.

From the Cover...
True love brings a deadly threat to the Black Dagger Brotherhood in this sizzling new novel in J.R. Ward’s #1 New York Times bestselling series.

Possessed by the demon Devina, Balthazar is once again on the hunt for the Book of Spells—and fighting an undeniable attraction to a woman. As a thief, he has stolen a lot of things…but he never thought his heart would be taken by another. Especially not a human.

As a homicide detective, Erika Saunders knows there is something otherworldly going on in Caldwell, New York. Mutilated bodies that cannot be explained are all over her case list—and then there are her nightmares in which she’s hunted by shadows and captivated by a mysterious man who is both a suspect and a savior.

When Devina’s wish for true love is finally granted, Balthazar and Erika unwittingly become the gateway for the rebirth of an old enemy of the Brothers. Will the very thing that brings them together lead to the ultimate destruction of the Brotherhood? Or will they have to lose everything in order to save the race’s most sacred defenders?

[IMG: Insert description of photo]

Comments

Popular Posts