The Way Home by Cindy Gerard

17571677


3 stars***
 
I had no trouble reading this as a stand alone even though it seems to be part of a series. Ty and Jess had met before in a previous book and they re-connect in this book. Jess is a widow having believed her husband was Killed in Action. She finally decides to move forward with her life 3 1/2 years later when she feels an undeniable attraction/connection to Ty.
J.R. (Jess's husband) is being taken care of by an Afghan woman named Rabia after he found a way to escape captivity. He has lost his memory and doesn't remember his life before captivity. He grows to love Rabia but knows that his presence in her life is putting her and her father in danger. He is torn because he wants to go home but he also doesn't want to leave Rabia.
I really loved the idea of this story but I wasn't able to connect completely with the dual love stories that were being told. I was much more interested in J.R. and Rabia's story and I think that maybe this should've been two books instead of one so that we could have had a chance to have gotten to know these characters better. I just didn't feel completely invested or connected in what was going on because it was being told a little too fast.
The whole rescue operation was a bit redundant and I skimmed through all of that... knowing every detail of the rescue mission just didn't interest me.
The best part of the story was when Jess was trying desperately to re-connect to J.R on his return. I felt bad for both of them.
The ending was wrapped up a little too nicely with a big red bow... just one big happy family. And, it just didn't feel realistic.
I liked it but I didn't love it... I just needed more...
This is an easy read and it is a pretty good story if you're looking for something easy on the heart with a nice HEA.

ARC provided by the publisher via netgalley.
 
K~

Comments

Popular Posts