Getting Rooted in New Zealand by Jamie Baywood



Find me on Amazon

Book Blurb

Craving change and lacking logic, at 26, Jamie, a cute and quirky Californian, impulsively moves to New Zealand to avoid dating after reading that the country's population has 100,000 fewer men. In her journal, she captures a hysterically honest look at herself, her past and her new wonderfully weird world filled with curious characters and slapstick situations in unbelievably bizarre jobs. It takes a zany jaunt to the end of the Earth and a serendipitous meeting with a fellow traveler before Jamie learns what it really means to get rooted.

                                  


Jamie Baywood grew up in Petaluma, California. In 2010, she made the most impulsive decision of her life by moving to New Zealand. Getting Rooted in New Zealand is her first book about her experiences living there. Jamie is now married and living happily ever after in the United Kingdom. She is working on her second book.



Find Jamie Baywood on:

 
Q & A with K & T

What was your favorite New Zealand moment or experience?

While I was in New Zealand I meet a director named Thomas Sainsbury, he asked me what I was doing in New Zealand. My everyday stories made him laugh and he asked me to write a monologue for him. I had never done anything like that before. I was shocked by the adrenaline rush that came with storytelling and making people laugh.

Who is your favorite author or authors?

Tama Janowitz, Tom Robbins, Elizabeth Gilbert, Cheryl Strayed, and Edward Canfor-Dumas.

What is your favorite inspirational quote?

“No matter how wonderful our dreams, how noble our ideals, or how high our hopes, ultimately we need courage to make them a reality. Without action, it’s as if they never existed.” - Daisaku Ikeda

Who is your favorite book character?

I loved the character Geoff from The Buddha, Geoff and Me. He seemed like a really cool guy.

We talk a lot here on KT book reviews about wine and chocolate, so..  wine or chocolate??

That’s why I love KT book reviews; I also love wine and chocolate. I love eating dark chocolate while drinking red wine. If you forced me to decide between the two I would go with chocolate because you can eat it anytime of the day.

******************************************************************************

K's Review

Haha... now that I've read the book I totally "get" the title.. and that made me giggle. You have to read it to get my meaning!
This is written in diary form and is a fun, quick and entertaining read. I was very intrigued by the many interesting individuals Jamie worked beside in her temp jobs in New Zealand. I can't say that I would have held on as long as she did so I definitely commend her endurance. The living conditions she endured made me cringe... especially the bugs... I really hate bugs! I think I would have been on the first plane out after the cockroach. What was supposed to be a life changing adventure for Jamie turned out to be just that... just not in the way she thought. But even with all of the difficulties she experienced... it did lead Jamie to meet her future husband so perhaps that made all of the hard times worth the trouble.
I think that this will appeal to those who have also lived abroad and can relate to the language and cultural adjustments that have to made when you're no longer in Kansas! (so to speak) I have lived abroad and this brought back some funny memories of my own.
I highly encourage everyone to travel abroad if the opportunity arises. It's always an eye opening experience to visit and learn about other cultures. Whether you love it or hate it... you will come out a more well rounded person. I definitely applaud Jamie for taking the plunge to move to another country all on her own.
Oh, and my favorite diary entry was... the McBrothel... (giggle)

Thanks so much to Jamie for the complimentary copy of this book! 

K~

 

Comments

Popular Posts