Shooting Scars by Karina Halle (The Artists Trilogy #2)



Shooting Scars (The Artists Trilogy, #2)

 5 scars...  oops...  I mean stars! *****

If you have not read book one in this series... stop... go back to start... this is not a stand alone! Read the novella "On Every Street" first and then read "Sins and Needles" before you read this one.
For our reviews of On Every Street (a novella to this series)...  click HERE!
For my review of Sins and Needles (book one in this series)...  click HERE

Book two in this series continues to keep us on the edge of our seats. I was not able to put the book down once I started. A very in(tense and engaging read from beginning to end! And... sadly... it ends that way on a cliffy. I am not a fan of waiting but I love this story so I guess I'll just have to deal. It's going to be a long wait for the final book! The ending was a big surprise...
The star of this series for me is hands down... Camden... I simply love his character. I'm tired of everyone dumping on my boy... if anyone deserves a Happily Ever After it's him. I personally cannot stand Javier and it just drives me crazy that Ellie is still so very naïve and weak around him. I do think Javier does care for Ellie... but his need for revenge and power will always get in the way. I feel this way because if he truly loved her he would not even consider putting her in harms way. The fact that he has no problem using her as bait for Travis is a sure sign where his loyalty lies. His influence on Ellie is dangerous and no good for her. Ellie needs to be saved... if not for Camden she wouldn't have any hope at all. He is her good compass...
Ellie is such a conflicted character. And, if not for the fact that she has been dealt a lousy deck of cards, I'm not sure I could deal with her bad choices. But, that is where I give due credit to the author... she does a really good job helping us feel Ellie's conflict and so I understand her weaknesses and the bad choices she makes. The blurb at the end of this book really got to me. Her parents are just horrible ugly people. How can you learn to trust anyone when you've been shafted by your own parents. There is a glimmer of hope for Ellie through Camden. I love his devotion to her and how he never seems to give up on her. She's not an easy gal to love that's for sure.
As much as I dislike Javier, I do empathize with his need for revenge considering what Travis did to his family. But at the same time I do think he brought most of it on himself. This series is very much about choices and consequences of those choices. The question is... will any of them survive to learn from them?? The surprising way this book ended has me on the edge of my seat in regards to Javier. Will he be able to redeem himself... I do hope so... I want to like the guy... I really do!
Another great installment for all of the Sins and Needles fans... now on to waiting... again!

ARC provided by Forever publishing via netgalley. 

K~

 Check out T's review HERE

Comments

Popular Posts