Slammed by Colleen Hoover (#1 Slammed series)




Slammed (Slammed, #1)


5 tear jerking stars*****
I find it difficult to review books that truly touch me on a personal level. Primarily because it brings me back to my own personal experiences and in order to make you understand why I love the book... first, I'd have to tell you MY story. Well, not gonna' do that... not enough space on the blog for that! Because I understand loss/death and have experienced it first hand... this book drew me in quickly and had me at hello.     
It's also very rare to find books that actually portray young people in a good way. No, they are not all sex crazed alcoholics sneaking out to do things behind their parents backs. Yes, many of them... quite a few actually... are smart, strong and have good relationships with their parents and love their siblings. I love how the young people are portrayed in this book.
I loved every character... the mom, Eddie and her boyfriend, the little brothers... they all had their own story to share and so it wasn't just a story of Will and Layken... it was a story of how life blends us all together and shows us when some doors close... others open. And, sometimes we have to build new families to replace old ones.
The author very cleverly built this story around poetry. And, because I love poetry it made the journey even better. I cried bucket loads at the end. But, I'm a mom... and the topics in this book cover some of our deepest fears as mothers. So, of course I cried. I want to say more... I really do... but, this book is so much better if you do not know what to expect. I had not read any of the reviews but had heard it was a good one and now I'm glad I went in blind. I'm looking forward to reading the next book in the series. I'm just wondering if I need to stock up on some Kleenex first. 
K~


~ ~ ~ ~ ~ 


Slammed by Colleen Hoover
T's Review and thoughts

I have seen these books floating around for awhile now and many if not most of the people I follow on Goodreads and other book sites have all read them and given this series 4-5 stars ratings. So what’s a girl to do but hop to it. I didn’t read most of the reviews as I wanted this to be new and fresh for me. Therefore in that spirit I will only give you an overview and mostly my feelings on these books.

Slammed. Not what I expected at all. A story of healing, new experiences and young love. I had two perspectives when I read this, as a daughter and as a mother. As a daughter I understood Layken. Her anger, her passion and her pain. As a mother I felt her upset, insecurity and the understood.

Although Layken father is gone you are shown the love and character of him through Layken memories. You can understand the loss.

“I looked at our reflection in the mirror and felt like the luckiest girl in the world. I didn’t know of any other dad who had magic clips. I wore that clip in my hair every day for two months, and my mother never once mentioned it. Now that I look back on it, I realize he probably told her what I had done. But when I was five, I believed in his magic.”



Yes, Slammed is a young romance but it is so much more than that. It is a tool to teach and lessons to live by.

“You can’t run to another town, another place, another state. Whatever it is you’re running from—it goes with you.”

“There are three questions every woman should be able to answer yes to before she commits to a man. If you answer no to any of the three questions, run like “Does he treat you with respect at all times? That’s the first question. The second question is, if he is the exact same person twenty years from now that he is today, would you still want to marry him? And finally, does he inspire you to want to be a better person?”

You can get the gist from the cover write up and I am just gonna say….read it. These young people are smart, funny and loving. It’s nice to see that portrayed.

5 Purple Stars

T~
 
To read a review of book two in this series POINT OF RETREAT...  click HERE!!

Comments

Popular Posts