Sookie Countdown #9... Dead and Gone by Charlaine Harris

                                                        Dead and Gone (Sookie Stackhouse, #9)

Book nine in the Sookie Stackhouse series was the one book that had me reaching for my hanky  by the end of the book.  This installment gave us a sneak peak at how brutal and cruel the fae could be if you were the object of their hate.  Unfortunately, Sookie was the object of this hate and the end result crushed her emotionally and physically.  We lost some favorite characters in this episode and it made me sad. 
The book begins with Eric and Sookie sort of getting "married"...  Of course, Eric tricks Sookie and she didn't realize they were vampire wedded until it was too late.  He had his reasons for doing what he did...  but doesn't he always??  We also get to learn about Eric's human life...  does it surprise anyone that Eric had six children??  I have no doubt his human wife felt very lucky indeed!  Too bad that Sookie probably doesn't feel the same about her marriage to Eric and I think that is something that is always at the forefront of Sookie's mind.  If only he were human...  we hear you Sookie!  We all feel the same way.  I loved Sookie's reactive statement to Eric when he tried to explain his actions. 

"Can you doubt that I want what's best for you?"  (Eric)
"I don't doubt that you want what you think is best for me, " I said.  "And I don't doubt that that marches right along with what you think is good for you." (Sookie)

As much as it pains me to say this...  and as much as I have never really cared for vampire stalker Bill...  this was the book where he absolutely redeemed himself.  Because he was always watching over Sookie he was able to help save her after she had been captured by the enemy fae.  I will admit to shedding a few tears at his words when he fell ill with silver poisoning trying to save her:

"Sweetheart," Bill said, very formally, "I have always loved you, and I will be proud to die in your service.  When I'm gone, say a prayer for me in a real church." 

Not long after he says this all heck broke loose with the fae and they were at war...   Bill staggers himself up and prepares to fight the fae to protect her...  even though he was in no condition to fight.
It made me feel guilty for not liking him...  man...  I hate guilt. 

There were many questions hovering about at the end of this book.  The main one being will Bill live?  Will Sookie recover from the brutality she experienced?  And...  how will Sookie's life change now that she is so formally bonded to Eric?  You get the sense that Sookie is finally reaching her wits end with the supernatural world.  And after what happens to her who could blame her... 

Hopefully we will find answers to some of these questions in the next installment of this series...  Dead in the Family...  stay tuned!

K~

Click HERE to read my review of Dead in the Family...

Comments

Popular Posts