With Ties that Bind: A Broken Bonds Novel, Book Two by Trisha Wolfe

One of my top reads of 2016! 

Do you know what I love? No? I’ll tell you. I love when a character grows from one book to the next. I love when that character sees things with new eyes and a fresh perspective. I love the thought patterns, the realizations, the transformations, and the discovery of self. That kind of emotional journey is thrilling to read. It moves me, challenges me, and pulls me so deeply into a book that those pages become real and addictive. This Broken Bonds Book Two has done all of that to me.  

The relationship between Quinn and Avery is a heart wrenching and fragile thing.

You said even my scars were beautiful. But my scars aren’t just skin-deep, Quinn

It’s hard for anyone who has such a strong moral compass to see shades of grey, and for Quinn, his drive for absolute honesty and righteousness is costing him. His standards are at times impossibly high for those closest to him. All of whom are damaged in many ways, but still striving for better. He works in a land of psychopaths and the roads are curved, but his self-evaluations are becoming more frequent.

When I look back over my life, after I’ve become an old retired, washed-out detective with a back brace and arthritic joints, I wonder if this moment—this pivotal moment—will be my ultimate failure or biggest triumph.

Told in multiple POVs, we get a good look into all of the players and their inner workings. Though this book is not solely about Quinn, he is the center of this revolving circle of chaos. In all honesty, I extremely disliked him at times; though I hazard to guess not as much as he hated himself.  Existential and empirical are the best ways to describe it all.

Ultimately it’s a thrill read hunting a serial psychopath, but it’s also a series that is producing a litany of secondary characters that I am absolutely salivating over. The amount of spin-off series/books that can come from this seems never ending; and if they all pack this kind of deadly punch we are in for one hell of a ride!

A thriller with an exhilarating undertone of sex, lies, and fraying moral fiber.
5 Stars
~Tanja



 Get it on AMAZON

A new threat has descended upon Arlington, and lead medial examiner Avery Johnson is in its sights, being targeted by the city’s latest serial killing menace known to the public as the Alpha Killer.

Whether urban legend or reality, the Alpha feeds into the media craze, orchestrating a killing spree to stamp out all rivals. And when Avery’s tangled web of deception pulls her further into to Alpha’s sadistic game, there’s only one thing she fears more: losing Quinn. With just as many secrets to guard as the elusive crime lord, Avery’s time is running out to reveal the truth to Quinn, the stubborn, by-the-book detective bent on protecting her at all costs.

As a lead takes the ACPD task force deep into the bowels of a corrupt law firm, the discovery of a vast criminal network with far-reaching connections threatens to unmask many players. How deep does the corruption go? How far does the Alpha’s reach extend? While the team races to catch a killer, Detective Quinn is faced with an impossible choice. Will he betray the woman he’s fallen for, or seek his own vengeance outside of the law?


Comments

Popular Posts