Sparrow by L.J. Shen

New to me author LJ Shen will no longer be one I let collect dust on the Kindle. I am beyond pleased to have been given a chance to read Sparrow. I will be completely honest in telling you the beginning is a bit of a struggle. But if you stick it out you’ll have one hell of a read.
Told from both point of views, Troy and Sparrow, we get an insight into who these characters are. I gotta say, that’s a must. For those of you sensitive to cheating this may be a read breaker for you. I feel that I need to explain. I hate cheating in books. HATE. But this isn’t that kind of story. This is an arrangement and neither of them has interacted with each other before the literal marriage.
Troy is a “fixer” for the mob. He’s not a nice man and doesn’t pretend to be. He does what he wants when he wants and is unapologetic. Troy is direct and to the point about it all. Except for the reasons why he has chosen to marry her.
Sparrow is a girl who grew up in the neighborhood. Dealt with an absent mother and an alcoholic father. She has kept her wits about herself and is goal oriented and driven. Well… until she finds herself in a wedding dress marrying a man that scares the hell out of her.
Nothing about this is love. Nothing about it is fair. What it is is a situation that becomes more. Understanding, hate, attraction, loathing, revenge, redemption, and lust. I found the ending to be absolutely phenomenal. There is a strong connect that happens in the form of banter between these two. A give and take that neither one has experienced yet find oddly compelled to entertain.
I am giving it 4 stars only because of the wordiness of the first 30% of the book. I felt it lacked a bit of focus, but then it fell into a groove and I could stop reading.

Great read. Give it a chance to capture you.


Troy Brennan

Every southie in Boston knows that name. The son of a dead mobster. The heart throb with steel blue eyes. "The Fixer" who can make or break you in this city.
Oh, and my new husband.

Sparrow Raynes

That's me. No one seemed to remember my name up until he barged into my life.
But then he caged me.
Kidnapped me.
And killed every chance I had to runaway from the place where we grew up.
Put simply, Troy Brennan clipped my wings.
I have dreams, big ones, but I doubt he'd ever let me chase them. I have no idea why he'd decided to take me as his wife. But I do know this: pissing off this man will not do me any good. At all.


Sparrow is a standalone, full-length novel. It contains graphic violence and adult situations some may find offensive.
L.J. Shen resides in sunny California with her husband, son, chubby cat and wild, wild dreams.
Her passion is to write badass stories, sushi, UFC and her awesome family and friends (not in this order, though. Obviously, sushi comes before writing. Oh, and also the family part.)
She spend the first half of her twenties traveling the world and is now paying all the fun with extra shifts in front of her MacBook. Feel free to contact her on her Facebook page. She loves to hear from her readers.



Comments

Popular Posts