Days Made of Glass by Laura Drake



Add on Goodreads
Available on Amazon!
Check out other books by Laura Drake on her WEBSITE!



Harlie Cooper raised her sister, Angel, even before their mother died. When their guardian is killed in a fire, rather than be separated by Social Services, they run. Life in off the grid in L.A. isn’t easy, but worse, there’s something wrong with Angel.
Harlie walks in to find their apartment scattered with shattered and glass and Angel, a bloody rag doll in a corner. The doctor orders institutionalization in a state facility. Harlie’s not leaving her sister in that human warehouse. But something better takes money. Lots of it.
When a rep from the Pro Bull Riding Circuit suggests she train as a bullfighter, rescuing downed cowboys from their rampaging charges, she can’t let the fact that she’d be the first woman to attempt this stop her. Angel is depending on her.
It’s not just the danger and taking on a man’s career that challenges Harlie. She must learn to trust—her partner and herself, and learn to let go of what’s not hers to save.

A story of family and friendship, trust and truth.
I have read every one of Laura Drake's books but this one is truly something special. Definitely one of my favorites. I'm still thinking about this story and the characters and find myself looking through the book at my favorite quotes again this morning. Sometimes when I finish a story, I sit and reflect for a while on the characters, the title and the simple life lessons I can learn from the trials and hardships that the characters faced. The title of this book has so much more meaning now that I'm done. Sometimes life is like broken glass and we have to find a way to pick up the broken pieces of our lives and press onward. That is exactly what Harlie must do when she finds herself in a position where she has to face what many people would think of as an impossible task in order to find her way to a better future for her and her sister Angel. She has been offered an opportunity to train as the first female bullfighter. A job in which she will have to prove herself, face her fears and learn to work with others. Harlie is tough as nails but also a loner. She has a lot to do to learn how to fit into this world of cowboys and spurs.
I love inspirational quotes and I love it when authors sprinkle them throughout their books as chapter headings. This one really stuck with me:

"Where there is ruin, there is hope for a treasure."
"Why do you stay in prison when the door is so wide open?"


Harlie and Angel have had a tough life together and this quote was very fitting to the character of Harlie. She had imprisoned herself into a life of keeping to herself and protecting her sister. She lived in a world of secrets keeping everyone at arms length thinking this was the best way to protect them both. She had to learn to reach out and allow people into her life and learn to trust. And, there was no better place to do that than in the world of bullfighters and cowboys.

"Shared blood defines a family, but spilled blood can too."

Harlie found herself for the first time completely alone after tragedy strikes once again. She is forced to separate from her sister and find a way to fit into this bullfighting world that women just didn't belong. It is her only chance for a better future for them both. By challenging the nearly impossible task of fitting into this all male world, she discovered what she was truly made of and was able to find her way into building a new family through the strong bond of friendship. For the first time in her life she was able to experience what it means to be a part of a group where everyone has to look out for each other. Because not looking our for each other was not an option or the results could be deadly. Sometimes you have to spill a little blood to protect those around you. This is what it means to be a bullfighter. But, by spilling this blood you gain something unbreakable with those you are guarding. A bond that is just as strong as family.
This is a beautifully written, engaging and emotionally heartwarming story of two sisters and the strong bond they share. It is also about brotherhood, the power of true friendship and learning to reach out and ask for help when you need it most. It's about learning that the world is not so heavy on our shoulders when we ask people to help us hold it up.
I'm pretty sure I'll be thinking about this book for a while. It's going on my favorites shelf for sure. And, you do not need to know a thing about bullfighting or cowboys to enjoy this book. The author did such a good job at walking me through the world of bullfighting, I actually felt like I was sitting in the class with Harlie!

This ARC was graciously provided by the author. She is one of my oldie but goodie authors that never ever disappoints me. Each and every book she writes is unique, engaging and comes from the heart. It shows in her writing.

5 Love Me a Cowboy stars!


Comments

  1. I love this book as well. I have also read every one of Laura Drake books. This book stays with me too. I found myself wondering how they were doing. It took me a while to pick up another book because Days Made of Glass kept talking to me. I love when a author can write characters like that.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this book as well. I have also read every one of Laura Drake books. This book stays with me too. I found myself wondering how they were doing. It took me a while to pick up another book because Days Made of Glass kept talking to me. I love when a author can write characters like that.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts