Warm Bodies by Isaac Marion


Warm Bodies by Isaac Marion


Okay... I read the book and then I watched the movie. So, this will be a review of what I thought of both. First of all, whether or not this is YA or adult is pretty much a decision each person will have to make for themselves. The movie is definitely geared toward the YA audience and I let my 13yr old watch it without any worries. However, the book had some adult elements that I wouldn't want her to read so I can see how the book would be more appropriate for your older audience. (High School and upward) I did not like the ending in the book. It felt sort of rushed and incomplete. But, I think I read that this series isn't finished so maybe a sequel?? That would be good! The movie brought this story to a full and complete closure which was nice. In some ways, the movie helped me to appreciate the book because the couple playing R and Julie had great chemistry. Their emotions were spot on and helped bring these characters to life. And now I find myself wanting to re-read the book because now I have a face to go with a name and it works for me. As a whole the book was too short and needed more... I felt the same way about the movie. With a little more effort both could have been awesome but rather leaves you feeling a bit shorted. I didn't love both but I didn't hate them either. Some people hated the whole Romeo and Juliet element but I for one thought that was a nice idea. And it worked even better on the movie screen. R speaking up to Julie on the balcony... loved it. Very creative on the part of the author.
This isn't a book or movie for your zombie fanatics who prefer your more traditional zombies. The zombies in Warm Bodies start this way but slowly begin to come back to life. The whole comparison of humans who often behave like zombies, and zombies who behave more human than you would think was very amusing to me. The Zombie conversations between R and M are pretty funny. The best part of the book was the Zombie banter and how they had their own little civilization and way of "living". I was disappointed that much of that was left out of the movie. The movie was romance focused. (Gotta bring in those YA fans right??) So all in all a good read for a lazy afternoon and a good movie for the same! Just one a little more adult than the other. I would say read the book then watch the movie OR watch the movie then read the book. Doesn't really matter which way you do it... the experience will likely be the same. 

~ K

Comments

Popular Posts