Callum by Melissa Schroeder (The Cursed Clan #1)

12918465
 


3 stars***

Pretty much any story involving Scottish men gets my attention so I was looking forward to diving into this book. Unfortunately, even though I like the overall story, I just wasn't connecting with Phoebe and Callum. So, that accounts for the slightly lower rating.
So, we have a clan who were cursed by a witch. They've been around for a long time and are immortal and can't die. They are hoping to find a way to break the curse but at the same time fear what will happen once it is broken. Will they just die or will they be able to live out a normal human life? Guess we'll have to wait and see!
They find a diary but can't interpret so they bring in an expert named Phoebe. They need her to translate the diary but at the same time are trying to make sure she doesn't find out who or what they are.
An unexpected attraction between Callum and Phoebe makes this almost an impossible task. And, this is also where the story fell flat a little for me.
Callum and Phoebe and their insta-attraction happened way too fast and their internal dialogue on how hot they were for each other was constant. Insta-anything never works for me... I need some kind of build up. I kept thinking that maybe she was his "fated one" or something because this is paranormal. If that had been the case then I could've accepted this insta-lust relationship. But... no, that wasn't the case. This made their characters seem shallow.
The clan is cursed and they are immortal but that's about as far as the paranormal goes. They aren't gifted or anything... just humans who can't grow old or die.
I also would've liked more attention to have been paid to the overall story. I wanted more history and details. Perhaps we will get more of that in the books that follow. I was definitely more invested in the story by the end when we finally find out how the curse can be broken. Each of the brothers have a task to complete. The next book will be about Angus...one of the brothers in the clan. I actually quite liked his character and because book two is about him I'm definitely on board!
I would expect those who are okay with Insta Romance to like this one more than I did... so I would still recommend. And, the overall story is interesting and engaging. I'm curious to see how this all plays out and what will happen when the curse is finally broken.
 

His duty was all that mattered.
Callum Lennon has one goal in life: protect his cousins. His failure in the past to do just that is what drives every action. When they discover a chance for redemption, Callum is willing to try. But trusting an outsider isn’t acceptable.
A woman in need of a new beginning.
An expert in archeology, Phoebe has always felt dwarfed by her parents’ shadow. In college by thirteen, she’s never measured up to her parents’ high standards. When the Lennons contact her, she decides to take a chance…and finds herself intrigued by the most insufferable man.
A passion impossible to ignore.
One argument leads to a kiss and to an unbearable desire they cannot seem to fight. When an old enemy threatens their fragile new love, Callum will have to choose between believing his mind or trusting his heart.
Forces outside the family are determined to ensure that they fail. When an old enemy threatens both the well being of the clan and the fragile new love, Callum will have to choose between believing his mind or his heart.

Comments

Popular Posts