The Thicket by Joe R. Lansdale


17333250
 
 
3 stars***

Okay... I've only read one other title by this author and that was The Bottoms. And, even though the writing style of this author is very different than what I'm used too... I felt that book brought me back to the same emotions of Stand by Me which is one of my favorite movies. When I saw The Thicket pop up for review I picked it up fairly quickly hoping I would get the same experience. But, I was really having trouble liking this story. Part of it was the content and the other part was the terminology and language.
This is Texas past so even though the language and words used are probably appropriate to the characters considering the time period... it was just something I was having trouble making my peace with. And, I am particularly sensitive to violence and abuse against women and there seemed to be quite a lot of that going on as well.
I did like the Midget... he was a very entertaining character. Oh, and the pig... haha... I did enjoy how the pig seemed to play a vital role in the story. Just one of the boys! And, I loved the way things were all tied up at the end of the book.
This book for me has some very dark characters that just make you cringe and a lot of bad things happen to a lot of people! So, I think that is something you are either going to like or hate depending on what you are sensitive too.
All in all this is still a very entertaining story and I think it will appeal more to this authors long term fans and those who are used to his writing style. If you are a newbie to this author I would recommend reading The Bottoms first... that's a better place to start... in my humble opinion!

ARC provided by netgalley in exchange for a review. 

K~



Comments

Popular Posts