A Hunger Like No Other by Kresley Cole (Immortals After Dark #2)

A Hunger Like No Other (Immortals After Dark, #2)
 

***A little spoilery***
4 stars****

So, this is why I sometimes really hate reading reviews before I dive into a book... based on some very negative reviews I read of this one I had prepared for something truly horrible to happen. But, as it turns out it wasn't such a big deal... at least I didn't think so.
When an author creates a character, especially one in the paranormal element, they have certain instincts and traits that go along with them. And, I love authors who don't sugar coat a character but instead write them and their behavior in a way that aligns to how they should react. Now, I will admit that Lachlain and his behavior in the beginning of the book made me uncomfortable BUT Lachlain was out of his mind and loopy having just freed himself from a couple of centuries of torture and at the same time had scented his true mate. His anger from being tortured, mixed with his need to be with his mate, and coping with the fact that his mate was a vampire (the same creatures who had just tortured him)all mixed together with his true nature of being a werewolf... well, then... that was definitely a recipe for some out of control emotions and actions. And, to be honest, I felt that Lachlain did pretty good on self control considering his state of mind. And, as the story progresses he realizes that what he did to her was wrong as his mind became stronger and clearer and he felt guilty. And, that is when the story started to come full circle and where I felt he truly redeemed himself. Some people also said that Emma was weak... well, yes she was... but, only because the coven had sheltered her to the point where weakness was all she knew. The one thing I really liked about this book was watching her come into her own and realizing that she was stronger than she thought. You really have to read this book all the way through to truly appreciate this relationship and make sense of all of the bad behavior in the beginning. And, they are perfect for each other. She is stronger with him... and much more empowered. The Valkyrie would have kept her weak and timid and smothered.
This is a very creative paranormal world... love the Valkyrie... what an entertaining bunch of gals.
Yes, I was definitely pleased with this installment. So, I guess I'll have to keep reading now... The next book is titled "No Rest for the Wicked". 
If you haven't read this series yet...  feel free to read along with "K".  I will be attempting one book in this series each week.  Unless, life gets in the way and then it will be... whenever I can get to it! 
 
K~

Comments

Popular Posts