Twice Tempted by Jeaniene Frost

                                                            Twice Tempted by Jeaniene Frost

This is a solid 3 stars for me... 
This is a hard review for me to write because I am such a huge, huge fan of Frost. But, there is just something missing from this series for me. I'm usually so connected to her characters but I am just not feeling the relationship between Leila and Vlad. I'm having difficulty buying into the fact that Vlad is a character you can love... romantically. The attempt at making Vlad desirable as a lover just didn't work for me. I spent most of the book not liking him BUT that is my point. We're not supposed to like Vlad, we're supposed to fear him. Trying to make him lovable is just too hard. I don't find it believable at all that Leila would be able to just blindly accept Vlad for the possessive, vengeful a$$ that he is in such a short amount of time and I equally don't believe that Vlad would fall so quickly. 
[ the marriage was way too soon and too quick. (hide spoiler)] I do love Leila's back story and her gift is very unique. I loved that Vlad was more true to his character in book two. He was an incredible arse! Unfortunately, the values that make Vlad a great character to hate also makes him a hard character to love.
So, once again I am on the fence with this series. I want to like it... I really do! But, it lacks the appeal that her Night Huntress series has. I miss the ghosts, the ghouls and the interactions with other characters that often adds an element of fun to her books. I also miss the speckles of humor that are usually present in her other books but is clearly missing in this series.
At the end of the day I didn't hate this book... but, I didn't love it either. Frost is still a good writer and the story was engaging enough for me to read through in one sitting. I will finish the series but my heart will always be more devoted to the Night Huntress series... of which I can't wait to get my hands on the next book in that series... "Up From the Grave"... bring on more Cat and Bones!

~K

Comments

Popular Posts